5 things... to keep you sane while you are on furlough

April 20, 2020

80% pay for a minimum of 3 weeks, completely work free?!? Sign me up!

This was the attitude I had on day 1 of furlough.

... For those of you who don't know, furlough is basically when you don't work for a period of time, but you are paid 80% of your wages which is subsidised by the government, in order for you to *hopefully* still have a job to go back to once the lockdown is over.

Now, I am a busy bee... I don't spend much time just doing nothing. In fact, I find doing nothing really difficult. This coupled with the fact that WE ARE ALL ON LOCKDOWN (yes Susan... that includes you! STAY OFF THE BEACH!) lead me to find myself teetering on the edge of an anxiety induced meltdown less than a week into this blessed furlough, until I made sure that each day I did the following things... Try them, if you are struggling a little at the moment, I guarantee you will feel a lot better for it!

1. Make a daily 'to do' list: One of the first things I do when I wake up is write a list of tasks I would like to accomplish that day. I enjoy having some sort of routine and this has really helped to keep me in check with some of the other things I have done below. It doesn't need to be long, nor does it need to have everything you intend to do that day on it (unless you need to be reminded to brush your teeth?!). It just needs to have some core items that you would like to achieve that day written on it.

List GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY


2. Exercise every day: This is sooooo important! You don't even need to leave your house to do this (yes even if you live in a flat), you don't need to be fit (you're not training for a marathon), you don't need to push yourself too hard (look after yourself!) there are tonnes of great exercise videos on YouTube you can try, from a workout to some gentle yoga. Or if you are like me, I alternate between walking, hula hooping and riding Archie the pony (in the field, very carefully)!

Monsters Inc Running GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

3. Learn something new: There are tonnes of options here, the number of emails I have been receiving with "free course on...this" and "free membership to... that". I am currently doing a Linkedin Learning course in Photoshop, I am also using Duolingo (free app) to learn Italian (there are tonnes of other languages you can learn on this app, I highly rate it!) and I have just signed up to 3 month free access to a digital marketing course (Digital Marketing Institute). See, told you I like to keep busy! But the bottom line here is, there are many businesses sharing their learning services with us for free in this current situation, use it to your advantage! Just don't forget to cancel your subscription so that at the end of the free trial, you don't get caught out with a cheeky charge!

Today Gon GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

4. Do something creative every day: I am using my spare time to do things I swear I would do if I had more time. For example, I have been posting more videos on YouTube, and getting more gutsy with the content too! I have picked up writing my bloggy again (it took some time but I am back again!), I have even learned how to use Pinterest and I am putting together mood boards for when we move into our new home. But, you don't have to be this extravagant. Order some nice colouring pencils off Amazon, and get yourself an adult colouring in book, or start your own blog... I find being creative a huge release of energy, so it not only helps me to sleep at night but I feel a great sense of achievement after I have done something to get the juices flowing again.

Creative GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5. Finally. Spend some time outside (in the sun): I don't know where you live... but I am in Southern England. From September - March, it felt like it had rained everyday. Thankfully, when the lockdown came into place... the sun showed its pretty face again and all but a couple of drizzly days, it has been BEAUTIFUL outside! So, when I can, I grab my blanket and chill on the grass for a little while. Its a great time to practice my Italian or listen to an audiobook while soaking up some rays and good old vitamin D. (If the sun is out, remember to wear sunscreen kids!!)

Sunbathing GIFs | Tenor

You Might Also Like

0 comments