7 Things I wish I was told before trying the Keto diet

November 13, 2018

I have lost over 2 stone! & Yes I am incredibly proud!

Having PCOS, it is almost impossible for me to lose weight without over exercising or starving myself and all I have done for the past few months (give or take a couple of naughty days) is follow a Keto diet.


Before - June 2018

During - October 2018


In a nutshell, the Keto diet, or now way of eating for me, is high fat-low carb- moderate protein. 
Sausages, cream, bacon, cheese - yes
Chocolate, ice cream and cakes - no!

Give it a google and you will find lots more information about it, but if you are interested in eating Keto make sure you do research before you commit!

I started this way of eating in the last week of June, I am still on my weight loss journey, but here are a few of the things I WISHED I was told before starting.

1. There will be no snacks
Because a lot of snacks like crisps, biscuits, cakes even fruit- basically all the good stuff, have a large amount of carbs in them - yes, the very thing you are trying to avoid. There is very little you can just 'grab and go', well apart from cheese and meat slices (my go to snack!). You must plan ahead, lunchtimes will never be the same!

2. Realising that fat is good for you, will drive you insane
But once you get into the swing of it, you will be on your way. For the first month, I really struggled with the fact that fat is good for you. This is of course a very controversial subject, and I wont go into it - because research is key with this diet, but YES fat is good for you as long as you aren't also consuming a silly amount of carbs.

3. You will see results almost immediately
Obviously depending on how much weight you have to lose, as everyone is different, you will begin to see results in the first couple of weeks. If you are following it TO THE LETTER, the scales will most likely budge and your jeans will begin to be a bit looser. This is something I love about being Keto... I am incredibly inpatient and being able to see it was working really helped in the beginning.

4. Not everyone will like what you're doing
When I first started out I was so impressed with my results I was literally shouting from the rooftops what i was doing.  I got a lot of positive feedback, and a lot of negative feedback. Bottom line is Keto isn't your traditional 'diet' and a lot of people will have issues understanding it. If I have one piece of advice for you it is to hold your head high and do what you feel is right for YOUR body.

5. Keto Flu is real!
OMG!!! Keto flu is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy... well... maybe but still. It's hideous and horrible but it can be avoided. Again, do your research but this can be avoided by taking electrolytes, the correct amount, daily! Keto flu usually  happens around day 3/4 of this way of eating. It happens because your body is making the change between using carbs for energy and starting to run out of a fuel source before turning to burning fat. By topping up your electrolytes (which you should do anyway) it will ensure you feel a lot better when your body begins making the transition.

6. Don't rely on the scales.
This may sound weird, but it is true. I am the smallest I have been in years, but I am not the lightest I have been in years. weighing yourself to begin with is a good plan but relying on the scales for this diet isn't a good plan. many different things can alter your weight during the course of a day and sometimes you just need to toss the scales out. Instead, taking measurements or photos of your body is a good way to track your progress alongside the scales. you may lose inches before you lose pounds.

7. You may lose hair
I have always had issues with hair loss for as long as I can remember. I had just started to grow it back then boom, I start to lose it again. This is common with any rapid weight loss, however mine is slowing down again and I have read that it is only temporary, if you are worried about hair loss, look into taking a biotin supplement as this will help.

I hope you enjoyed this roundup of what I wished I was told before I started Keto. Of course there are many more, but I will save those for another post!

I want to point out I am not a medical professional, and what has worked for me may not work for you, if you are worried about trying Keto, talk to your doctor about it - and make sure you research everything before you take the plunge. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments