Delicious Dhal

September 11, 2016

Our food cupboard is bursting at the seams, which is weird because whenever it comes to dinner time Miles and I can’t decide what to have because ‘we have no food?!’.

In an attempt to use up some of the tins, pulses and other stuff we have in the cupboard before it spoiled, I decided to make dhal. The only time I can remember eating dhal before this time was at a dinner party we went to at a good friend’s house and my goodness that was good!

I also took the opportunity to use the Piadina which I had picked up while on holiday with my sister in Sicily which has been sitting getting very crushed in the food cupboard since then! I didn’t realise this at the time but Piadina is an Italian flatbread. This particular time it was made by Schar, but I have since then found gluten free recipes and I will give it a go at making it in the near future as it is perfect with curries, and it would also make a good quick pizza base too!


On with the Dhal!

You will need: (serves 2 nicely)

- 200g lentils (I used the red ones)

- 1 teaspoon turmeric

- 2 nice knobs of butter

- 1 onion (chopped)

- 2 cloves of garlic- chopped (if you like garlic, use more, I used 3)

- 1 teaspoon garam masala

- ½ tin of chopped tomatoes

- Salt to taste

Method:

1. Pop the lentils into a nice deep saucepan and add enough water to cover the lentils and then a further 2 inches and allow the water to come to a boil. I gave the water and lentils a stir at regular intervals to stop the lentils ticking to the bottom of my saucepan.

2. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down so it is simmering, add one of the knobs of butter and turmeric and stir. Leave the lentils to cook.

3. Add the other knob of butter to a hot frying pan along with the garlic and onion once the onions are softened and the garam masala and the chopped tomatoes. Then remove from the heat for now.

4. By now the lentils should be ready. They should have sucked up most of the water and be the consistency of porridge. Mix in the onion mixture and add salt to taste.

5. Serve! Yummy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments