Ooodles of Pot Noodles

August 02, 2016

Hi there blogletts! So lovely to see you again!!!

I know its getting a bit of a habit with these gappy posts but i am hoping to get into some sort of routine soon... I promise! (I do hate writing an apology at the top of each blog post!).

On with the post!

So... In a bid to mix up my lunches a little bit (again), I began searching for nice, yet yummy, easy packed lunches to make to take into work.

I needed something that:

a) Didn't take all evening to put together (I like to relax in the evening)

b) Was tasty...Natch!

c) Didn't cost the earth to make.

Within minutes my trusty search engine returned a result which seems to be a new lunch craze which is sweeping the nation. The Homemade Pot Noodle.

Traditionally Pot Noodles are very unhealthy, they are full of saturated fat, salt and other nasties and they aren't gluten free.

However, this healthier, tastier version is easy on the eye... and ticks all my boxes! I decided to use this recipe to base my pot on, with a few tweaks... because the possibilities are really endless with these little pots of yum! And the best bit... once made up, you just add water to it, let it steep for a few minutes, and hey presto, its ready to eat.

For my version:

You will need:

  • 1 teaspoon bouillon (or your favourite stock paste or powder)

  • 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha (or more if you like it hot!) or your favourite hot sauce

  • 1/4 cup Sweetcorn, or your favourite veg chopped nice and small. (if using hard veg like asparagus, it is a good idea to blanch it before packing it into the pot to give it a little head start.

  • 3/4 cup noodles- there are a lot of different gluten free noodles available in supermarkets and Asian grocery shops. I like to use rice vermicelli.

  • a handful of spinach- chopped nice and finely.

  • a handful of spring onion- again, chopped finely.

  • 1 pint clip top jar/leak proof container. (I use these)

Method:

  1. Make sure your jar is clean and dry. Add the Bouillon and the hot sauce to the bottom of the jar.

  2. Next up is the sweetcorn, or veg... as I mention in the ingredients it is important to par boil harder veg so that when you add the boiling water to the jar when you want to eat, it is able to just heat the veg through.

  3. Then add the noodles, If  am not using fresh noodles, I let them sit in boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain, and let them dry before adding them to my jar. If you find your jar is a bit full, you can always pack the noodles down a little... they wont mind!

  4. Now for the garnish, sprinkle fresh, chopped spinach and spring onion on top. Put a lid on it and keep in the fridge until you are ready to eat!

  5. When you do get peckish, boil a kettle and add enough boiling water to cover everything in the jar. Give it a good stir, let it steep for a few minutes and its done!

Don't just stick to this recipe, there are lots of others all over the internet and the possibilities are endless! Just remember to make sure all the ingredients are gluten free!

IMG_6405.JPG

You Might Also Like

0 comments